Thursday, May 14, 2020

I might have been a little harsh on Evelyn Wortman

In March 2010, Mrs Evelyn Wortman told American reporter Teresa A Franco (not her current name) that she had lied to an American adoption agency there when she put her second child up for adoption at birth in 1970 : she used a FALSE NAME, because she was scared.

But she was adamant that she had NOT lied about her birthplace , even though the social worker had put it down as Providence, R.I.

Last night I was highly skeptical that Moncton New Brunswick could ever be mis-heard as Providence R.I.

But this morning, refreshed, I pronounced the American city full out as “Providence Rhode Island” and I had a brainwave.

What if Maritimer Evelyn, with one of those oh so funny accents, had honestly said  “ Province OF peI” and the geographically ill-informed American social worker heard it as Providence , R for OF and just the I of peI ?

Because Paul Wortman did mention Evelyn had a sister in Cornwall.

Cornwall PEI ?

Moncton is just filled with residents raised in PEI : Gabe’s teenage years best friend Kathy (Katherine) Pendergast was but one of those families.

Perhaps both having relatives back home in PEI and visiting PEI on summer breaks is what Gabe and Kathy bonded over....

No comments:

Post a Comment